Thursday, November 16, 2006

Texas, Here I Come

So tonight, I leave for Texas... I'm just going to be there two days for a meeting and then spending some time with my grandparents and (hopefully) cousins. I was born and raised in Texas for the first 8 years of my life. Once a Texan, always a Texan. Just for some reason, I'm not sure that I'm really a Texan. I'm not ready to call myself a Crucian, but I spent more of my "formative" years there than anywhere else. I haven't set foot in Texas in 4 1/2 years and I can't say, I "miss it". While I wouldn't mind living there, I don't know that it holds any more sway on me than any other place in the union. And I think I'd rather take my wife to St. Croix than Texas, because St. Croix "defines" me more. I know my family's liable to disown me if they read this, but hey... Personally, I consider myself a Floridian because that's where I live now. I guess I've never been tied to one location as much as most people are because I moved so much in life. If people ask me where I'm from, I'm just as likely to say Kentucky as Texas. Anybody else experienced this "locational identity" crisis, or is it just me? Anyway, I look forward to seeing my family and obtaining some precious chili (see previous post). I won't go so far as to say I'm "going home", but I'll borrow a line from the Backyardigans and say, "Texas, here I come."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have posted! Well - I have to say - you have at least 2 other people in this world who have experienced the lack of identification with one location - me and your other brother :) You know - I have been in HSV now for almost 3 years - that is an amazing record! And I'm not even considering a move right now. Wow. Does that mean I'm turning into an Alabamian? Oh, and I CAN'T WAIT to have my portion of Wolf Brand! Thanks for picking it up for me. The chili stinks up here. kris