Thursday, January 10, 2008

Letter to the Editor on Romney

I sent in a letter to the editor on Romney which was published in our local paper yesterday.
As the Jan. 29 primary draws closer, I’ve spent some time considering my choice for the Republican nomination. I see the 2008 election as critically important and so it’s equally crucial that the Republican Party field a strong, articulate nominee. What I’m looking for in a presidential candidate is a “complete conservative.”

By complete conservative, I mean both fiscally and socially conservative. A conservative should stand for three main things: fiscal conservatism, strong national defense and social conservatism. Fiscal conservatism consists of limited government, low taxes and eliminating wasteful spending. Strong national defense requires a strong, effective military and secure borders. Social conservatism is morals, supporting families and taking a stand for a culture of life, in all phases.

Mitt Romney is the only Republican candidate who has shown himself to be an effective communicator, a consistent conservative, strong on defense and who has strong leadership experience. His business executive background and mentality will serve him well as he works to control spending and government waste. His faith and values lead him to promote a culture of life and support a federal marriage amendment. Gov. Romney is a strong opponent of judicial activism and will appoint strict constructionists, not judges who will make policy or further curtail constitutional rights like the Second Amendment or the Kelo case.

Mitt Romney is also against amnesty for illegal immigrants and believes in enforcing our immigration laws and punishing “sanctuary cities” and employers who hire illegal immigrants.
Gov. Romney truly does have a “strategy for a stronger America.” He has the vision to lead and the ability to communicate and inspire others with that same vision. For that reason, I support Gov. Mitt Romney for president of the United States. For more information on Mitt’s vision for America, go to his website at www.mittromney.com.
A woman called our house at 8:00 this morning and thanked my wife for the letter. While I appreciate her thanks, I thought it rather strange (and a touch creepy) that she would look up our number in the phone book to call. Is it just me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I might have thought it odd or creepy once but not since moving to a small town. People think nothing of looking you up and giving you a call. Or of tracking you down at work (even if you never provided your work number).

There's another Diana who lives on my street, just a few houses down, and she's gotten a few calls from people who compliment her on my children, which I think is odd. That people think of us as the Dianas on C- Street. It's not like we're listed in the phone book by first name; I still can't figure that out.