Monday, January 7, 2008

Progress? I Think Not...

So I had another trip to Naples today... For Christmas, my wife got me a GPS unit. On the way over, it routed me pretty well although I had to ignore the polite, if somewhat insistent, lady a few times until she got things right. On the way home, I hit the "Home" button and away I went... This is a trip I've made probably close to a hundred times and could do in my sleep (I almost have a couple of times)... But the route my very intelligent GPS suggested was different. I thought I must have overlooked a quicker route home, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Long story short, I ended up getting home about an hour later than if I'd taken the route carefully selected by me while thumbing through an atlas in the 7-Eleven...
But it's OK, with Satelitte Radio, drive time is great. The BCS Championship Game was tonight, so I was looking forward to listening to the broadcast on the radio. One problem; Sirius didn't have the game... Why??? So I set off scanning the AM dial for the game. I've always loved AM at night. Briefly, I picked up 650 WSM out of Nashville, a station from Austin (traffic info was surprisingly unhelpful) and a couple of different Atlanta stations. Finally, I found a fuzzy station carrying the game. I couldn't tell what was crowd noise and what was static, but I caught most of the plays... Brent Mussburger drove me nuts, so it must have been clear enough. It's a wonder how we live with technology; an extra hour in the car and still no football game...

No comments: