Monday, October 8, 2007

Mitt Romney

So I'll start my examination of the candidates for President with my own personal front-runner. So far, I like Mitt. He seems like a solid, moral candidate who has great "business" experience that he can bring to government. He does look a little too "political" and seems "overly-polished" at times. And I've got to say it because everyone's thinking it; Your selling point is strength and you show a picture with some sort of stupid scarf thing tucked into your suit? What's that all about? Man up dude...

Romney's a Mormon. Am I the only one who is who doesn't really care about that? To me, that's a bit of a selling point because I have found most Mormons to be honest, family values kind of people, but of course, Harry Reid's a Mormon too, so then again, maybe not... But it seems all the coverage is about Mitt the Mormon. This Newsweek article can't talk about anything but that it seems... Is anybody really that worried about a "Mormon President"?

Setting aside those issues. Romney seems strong on border security and national defense, which is good. He seems pretty solidly pro-life, but also leaves it to the states, which is probably the best way to go. Socially, I don't have any trouble with him. Fiscally, he has pledged against raising taxes and wants to cut government spending and waste. With his background in business, he's probably the man to do it. He has pledged to give Congress dollar targets for appropriations bills and if they exceed those targets he will veto the bills. My one concern with him fiscally is his Universal Health Care plan he passed in Massachusetts. I in no way support Universal Health Care, either on the state or federal level, so voting for someone who authored a plan isn't real comfortable for me. I still need an answer on this one.

What you have with Romney is a candidate who may not have the national security experience that Giuliani has, but he's a candidate who knows his values and I think I share them. I think he's a religious man who will stand up for what he believes in against all odds.

No comments: